NHS Orthodontic entitlement is availble at Octagon Orthodontics
Octagon Orthodontics at The Beauty Society
31-33 Amersham Hill
Call today to book an NHS assessments at Octagon Orthodontics in High Wycombe, or use the email referral form…
NHS orthodontic treatment is available with Octagon Orthodontics at The Beauty Society in High Wycombe.
We are proud to be the largest NHS provider for orthodontic care in our local area, and work closely with the relevant authorities to have short or no waiting lists, and offer access for those needing treatment and advice free at the point of service.
NHS numbers are limited and eligibility for NHS braces or NHS orthodontic treatment is subject to an NHS assessment by orthodontic specialists, so please refer yourself or your patients immediately! Contact our NHS practice in High Wycombe, or use the NHS referral form provided.
Every child under the age of 18 is entitled to an NHS orthodontic examination by an orthodontic specialist and we are in a position to deliver this service to our patients.
Of course not all children require orthodontic treatment, but if you are concerned, it is advisable that you get a referral for your child from your dentist for an NHS orthodontic assessment in order to determine their eligibility and need for treatment.
About 1/3 of children in the age range of 7-17 do require some intervention or treatment, and we are there to help and give up to date professional advice. This advice is relayed to you in plain language and your dentist is kept informed of the outcome.
Referrals to Octagon Orthodontics
The NHS Orthodontics and the IOTN
Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN)
The accurate use of IOTN requires specialist training. Dr Ilori and his associates do have this expertise. The Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) is used nowadays to assess the need for NHS orthodontic treatment. Children under 18 years are eligible for treatment on dental health grounds if the grade on the IOTN scale is high enough. NHS orthodontic treatment to adults is not usually available in primary care. We have outlined an easy to understand version of the assessment an orthodontist will carry out:
The Dental Health Component (DHC) has 5 Grades
- Slightly protruding upper front teeth
- Slightly irregular teeth
- Minor reversals of the normal relationship of upper and lower teeth which do not interfere with normal function.
- Upper front teeth that protrude less than 4 mm more than normal
- Reversals of the normal relationship of upper teeth which only interfere with normal function to a minor degree; by less that 2 mm.
- Irregularity of teeth which are less than 4 mm out of line
- Open bites of less that 4 mm
- Deep bites with no functional problems
- Upper front teeth that protrude more than 6 mm
- Reversals of the normal relationship of upper teeth which interfere with normal function greater than 2 mm
- Lower front teeth that protrude in front of the upper more than 3.5 mm
- Irregularity of teeth which are more than 4 mm out of line
- Less than the normal number of teeth (missing teeth) where gaps need to be closed
- Open bites of more than 4 mm
- Deep bites with functional problems
- More than the normal number of teeth (supernumerary teeth)
- When teeth cannot come into the mouth normally because of obstruction by crowding, additional teeth or any other cause.
- A large number of missing teeth.
- Upper front teeth that protrude more than 9 mm
- Lower front teeth that protrude in front of the upper more than 3.5 mm and where there are functional difficulties too
- Cranio-facial anomalies such as cleft lip and palate.
The Aesthetic Component (AC)
The NHS does realise that some children need orthodontic treatment just because their teeth look really bad. The Aesthetic Component is a scale of 10 colour photographs showing different levels of dental attractiveness. The grading is made by the orthodontist matching the patient to these photographs. The photographs were arranged in order by a panel of lay persons.
Dentists will refer patients to us for a specialist IOTN assessment so that we can determine and secure their NHS entitlements.
We are currently assessing patients from the ages of 7-18 years.
At Octagon Orthodontics we do not have any waiting lists for assessments or for treatment and most patients who qualify are receiving their NHS entitlement immediately. If your child has been on a waiting list elsewhere you can ask your dentist to make a referral to Octagon Orthodontics. In view of the current NHS directive with regards to waiting lists, our services are fully compliant and we have a high level of patient satisfaction.
at The Beauty Society
31-33 Amersham Hill,
Buckinghamshire HP13 6NU
NHS: 01494 443002
Private: 01494 513797
at Dental Art
Grove Road, Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire HP9 1UR
Telephone: 01494 681367
at The Ashcroft Clinic
2 Ashcroft Drive,
Middlesex UB9 5JF
Telephone: 01895 831 049
at The Avenue
112 The Avenue,
London W13 8JX
Telephone: 0208 566 9567